Bajra, which you can refer to as the “magical pearl” is mostly grown in Africa and the Indian subcontinent. India is the largest producer of pearl millet or bajra.
- Pearl millet or bajra is a highly nutritious and a gluten free grain. It is full of vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
- The grain is easily digestible and has the lowest probability of causing allergic reactions.
- It is rich in starch and this makes it a great source of energy.
- It is an excellent source of protein and fiber.
- It is rich in minerals like phosphorus, iron.
Health benefits of bajra:
- People suffering from celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten. Bajra, being gluten free, becomes a very good food choice for these people.
- It is highly effective and recommended in cases of severe constipation and stomach ulcers.
- It helps in lowering the cholesterol levels. This is due to the presence of phytic acid and niacin.
- It is also believed to be associated with bringing down the risk of cancer.
- Being rich in fiber content, bajra works very well in diabetes. Gradual release of blood sugar in the bloodstream helps to keep the glucose levels normal.
- The wholegrain supports weight loss. The high fiber content leads to a feeling of fullness for a prolonged period and this controls your hunger. You tend to eat less and this aids in your weight loss process.